The Search Marketing Expo Conference Series (or SMX) took place recently. As always there is pertinent information that comes out of these conferences. Today’s article is a summary of the highlights of the new ideas and features that were discussed. Much of the featured news centers around PPC (pay-per-click) advertising and upcoming changes to take advantage of with this advertising model.
by Matt Van Wagner
Winters get long here in New England and so we often find ourselves travelling here and there to break up the long, dark winter and get some time outdoors before the first crocuses pop out of the ground. Some folks prefer to get outside onto the ski slopes while others head south to grab some rays on Caribbean cruise. Me? I prefer search marketing conferences.
Thankfully, SMX West was out in San Jose last week, so I got the best of both worlds. Though SJ is not exactly tropical this time of year, going out doesn’t involve five minutes of layering with hat, gloves and boots.
During the week, I picked up some just-off-the-presses PPC updates as well as a slew of new tools to help optimize and manage PPC accounts, recommended by from PPC colleagues at SMX. Here are just a few I’d like to share today.
Search Control on Twitter
- 5 Pillars of a Successful Modern Web Design May 19, 2013The SEO practices you implement in site design that optimize for search engines should be invisible. Modern day web design success requires a multi-function, multi-skilled approached to ensure maximum impact for your business. Balance is key. […]Jim Yu
- Bing Beams Up Star Trek Fans With Home Page Easter Egg, Klingon Translator May 17, 2013In conjunction with the arrival of "Star Trek Into Darkness", Bing has added a couple of features that fans should appreciate: a home page Easter egg when you search for "beam me up" and a new language option to Bing Translator: Klingon. […]Danny Goodwin
- 10 Essential WordPress Plugins to Improve SEO & Usability May 17, 2013Looking to increase your WordPress performance? These top 10 plugins (most of them free) will help you perform all kinds of different tasks and tweaks with WordPress, while also helping your site when it comes to SEO, usability, and conversion. […]Alex Moss
- How to Be a Badass Link Builder May 17, 2013If you build links like an actual human being then you're building links like a badass. You're making friends and your links are bulletproof. It's hard work. It will take time, energy, and brainpower to increase your rankings and traffic. […]Jon Ball
- Local Search Battle Heats Up: Can Yelp Fight Off Facebook & Foursquare? May 17, 2013Is Facebook – and to a lesser extent Foursquare – becoming more Yelp-like, and thus a threat? Some might believe the answer is an obvious yes, but it's worth looking at some of the moats Yelp has built in local search that won't make it so easy. […]Michael Boland
- Google Maps Gets a Brand New Look May 16, 2013Google has announced a revamping of Google Maps and it is much more than a few changes. It is a reworking of the entire Google Maps interface from the group up, designed to make Maps more intuitive for users. Advertisements also have a new look. […]Jennifer Slegg
- Google+ Gets Big, Image-Heavy Redesign May 16, 2013Google has revamped Google+. The new look and feel puts images front and center. While some new photo features and enhancements add some interesting functionality, the ridiculously huge cover photos are a bit hard for some users to swallow. […]Jessica Lee
- OK Google: 'The End of Search as We Know It' May 16, 2013Google is working toward its vision of what the future of search should be, and yesterday at the I/O event announced developments that are helping that vision become a reality. The question: How will businesses continue to remain relevant online? […]Jessica Lee
- Company Logos Coming to Google Search Results, Thanks to New schema.org Markup May 16, 2013Using the new markup will allow Google algorithms to understand which image on your server is your preferred logo. If you used such a file on your home page, you can designate it directly from the same IMG tag you use on your site. […]Thom Craver
- What You Need to Know About Marketing Automation May 16, 2013For any successful organization that relies on the Internet for leads and sales, marketing automation stands to increase efficiencies and revenues. Here's a look at marketing automation: the primary elements, core benefits, and opportunities. […]Jason Cormier
- 5 Pillars of a Successful Modern Web Design May 19, 2013