The Search Marketing Expo Conference Series (or SMX) took place recently. As always there is pertinent information that comes out of these conferences. Today’s article is a summary of the highlights of the new ideas and features that were discussed. Much of the featured news centers around PPC (pay-per-click) advertising and upcoming changes to take advantage of with this advertising model.
by Matt Van Wagner
Winters get long here in New England and so we often find ourselves travelling here and there to break up the long, dark winter and get some time outdoors before the first crocuses pop out of the ground. Some folks prefer to get outside onto the ski slopes while others head south to grab some rays on Caribbean cruise. Me? I prefer search marketing conferences.
Thankfully, SMX West was out in San Jose last week, so I got the best of both worlds. Though SJ is not exactly tropical this time of year, going out doesn’t involve five minutes of layering with hat, gloves and boots.
During the week, I picked up some just-off-the-presses PPC updates as well as a slew of new tools to help optimize and manage PPC accounts, recommended by from PPC colleagues at SMX. Here are just a few I’d like to share today.
Search Control on Twitter
- 5 Weird Writing Productivity Hacks That Work February 28, 2015Do you feel burned out and brain dead after a full day of writing? Heavy writing days can be exhausting. We have found some writing hacks over the years which will help stop the feeling that your brain is going to explode at the end of the day. Take a look at the great info […]Search Control
- Reddit Donating 10% of 2014 Ad Revenue To Charity February 18, 2015At Search Control, we always keep our finger on the pulse of trending topics, news and humor and Reddit is one of the first places we search each morning. About a year ago, news-sharing community Reddit announced plans to take 10 percent of its ad revenue and donate it to charity. Today it’s revealing details […]Search Control
- 5 Ways to Ruin Your Business Credibilty and How To Avoid These Misatakes February 11, 2015Are you guilty of neglecting your website and online presence? According to a web credibility study done by Stanford University, 75% of users admit to making judgments about a company’s credibility based on a website’s design. Moreover, there is mounting evidence that brands with little to no social media marketing are more likely to suffer […]Search Control
- Meet Amazon’s Busiest Employee, The Kiva Robot February 10, 2015Remember last Cyber Monday? Amazon was the center of attention, but not for its sales. It was in the news for its “drones”. Now Amazon is back, but with robots.This year’s news plays perfectly with the growing trend of smarter robots. Amazon’s warehouse robots are almost cute. Named Kiva, they’re like large Roombas, tasked with […]Search Control
- Twitter FINALLY giving SMBs The Ability To Promote Posts February 4, 2015While Twitter expands Promoted Tweets to run on other websites and apps, the social network is also trying to boost usage of them (and revenue from them) on its own platform. Today, it’s announcing a new feature aimed at small and medium businesses it’s referring to as “quick promote”, which will let SMBs select their […]Search Control
- Facebook Finally Getting Serious About Search December 10, 2014Facebook is finally getting serious about search. With the launch of Keyword search , Facebook is challenging Google for finding answers and Twitter for checking real-time chatter. The new Facebook Search is still rolling out to all US English web and iOS users, the new search experience is coming to 100% of desktop and iOS […]Search Control
- Consumer Reviews: How to Get Good Ones & What to Do with Bad Reviews December 4, 2014You know that online reviews are making and even breaking businesses these days. They are powerful. We read that “If a customer has a negative experience in the real world they are going to tell at least 5 people, if they have a negative experience and they post online, they will tell 500 people.” That […]Editor
- The complete history of Reddit, the Internet’s front page December 3, 2014This is the story of how a bootstrapped startup with a funny name and no initial ties to the tech scene outlasted better-funded competitors, survived founder drama, endured tensions with its parent company and later navigated life as a standalone business – all in order to build the front page of the Internet. Traffic doubled […]Search Control
- Snapchat Opens Geofilters So Anyone Can Submit Location-Based Artwork December 2, 2014Snapchat has opened up its Geofilters tool to a broader community this morning, letting anyone submit artwork that will appear as a geo-targeted filter on Snapchat photos. Geofilters debuted in July and were available to Snapchat developers only, but today Snapchat is opening up the feature to the broader community. The feature works by letting […]Search Control
- Happy Thanksgiving From Our Team To Yours November 26, 2014Thanksgiving has finally arrived and our staff is wrapping up the short week and prepping themselves for over eating and some quality family time. While most of us are swamped with work and responsibilities this time of year, it is important to take time to really appreciate all of the great things in your life […]Search Control
- 5 Weird Writing Productivity Hacks That Work February 28, 2015