Today’s post is a great resource when looking to optimize your Google Places profile. Optimizing your business will give you a leg up in search results when people are looking for general information in Google and will steer more potential clients to see your business name and information. Check out the full article below for all these great pieces of advice and useful nuggets of information to use for your own business.
By Andrew Shotland
Bizible, a start-up that makes local marketing software for SMBs, approached me recently* to preview the results of a Google Places Ranking Factors study they had conducted and I was intrigued enough by their findings to share some of them here.
Bizible’s team is made up of former Bing AdCenter guys and counts a PhD and a stats expert on their staff, so their study is a more scientific attempt to figure out what’s going on with Google Places than your typical “here’s what some SEOs think” kind of thing.
For methodology, they studied 30 potential ranking factors by querying approximately 20 cities across approximately 20 local categories (about 400 search terms), looking 30 results deep in Google Places rankings. They looked at each factor in isolation and then looked at them in combination to see if there were any multiplier effects.
Search Control on Twitter
- 5 Pillars of a Successful Modern Web Design May 19, 2013The SEO practices you implement in site design that optimize for search engines should be invisible. Modern day web design success requires a multi-function, multi-skilled approached to ensure maximum impact for your business. Balance is key. […]Jim Yu
- Bing Beams Up Star Trek Fans With Home Page Easter Egg, Klingon Translator May 17, 2013In conjunction with the arrival of "Star Trek Into Darkness", Bing has added a couple of features that fans should appreciate: a home page Easter egg when you search for "beam me up" and a new language option to Bing Translator: Klingon. […]Danny Goodwin
- 10 Essential WordPress Plugins to Improve SEO & Usability May 17, 2013Looking to increase your WordPress performance? These top 10 plugins (most of them free) will help you perform all kinds of different tasks and tweaks with WordPress, while also helping your site when it comes to SEO, usability, and conversion. […]Alex Moss
- How to Be a Badass Link Builder May 17, 2013If you build links like an actual human being then you're building links like a badass. You're making friends and your links are bulletproof. It's hard work. It will take time, energy, and brainpower to increase your rankings and traffic. […]Jon Ball
- Local Search Battle Heats Up: Can Yelp Fight Off Facebook & Foursquare? May 17, 2013Is Facebook – and to a lesser extent Foursquare – becoming more Yelp-like, and thus a threat? Some might believe the answer is an obvious yes, but it's worth looking at some of the moats Yelp has built in local search that won't make it so easy. […]Michael Boland
- Google Maps Gets a Brand New Look May 16, 2013Google has announced a revamping of Google Maps and it is much more than a few changes. It is a reworking of the entire Google Maps interface from the group up, designed to make Maps more intuitive for users. Advertisements also have a new look. […]Jennifer Slegg
- Google+ Gets Big, Image-Heavy Redesign May 16, 2013Google has revamped Google+. The new look and feel puts images front and center. While some new photo features and enhancements add some interesting functionality, the ridiculously huge cover photos are a bit hard for some users to swallow. […]Jessica Lee
- OK Google: 'The End of Search as We Know It' May 16, 2013Google is working toward its vision of what the future of search should be, and yesterday at the I/O event announced developments that are helping that vision become a reality. The question: How will businesses continue to remain relevant online? […]Jessica Lee
- Company Logos Coming to Google Search Results, Thanks to New schema.org Markup May 16, 2013Using the new markup will allow Google algorithms to understand which image on your server is your preferred logo. If you used such a file on your home page, you can designate it directly from the same IMG tag you use on your site. […]Thom Craver
- What You Need to Know About Marketing Automation May 16, 2013For any successful organization that relies on the Internet for leads and sales, marketing automation stands to increase efficiencies and revenues. Here's a look at marketing automation: the primary elements, core benefits, and opportunities. […]Jason Cormier
- 5 Pillars of a Successful Modern Web Design May 19, 2013