Today’s post is a great resource when looking to optimize your Google Places profile. Optimizing your business will give you a leg up in search results when people are looking for general information in Google and will steer more potential clients to see your business name and information. Check out the full article below for all these great pieces of advice and useful nuggets of information to use for your own business.
By Andrew Shotland
Bizible, a start-up that makes local marketing software for SMBs, approached me recently* to preview the results of a Google Places Ranking Factors study they had conducted and I was intrigued enough by their findings to share some of them here.
Bizible’s team is made up of former Bing AdCenter guys and counts a PhD and a stats expert on their staff, so their study is a more scientific attempt to figure out what’s going on with Google Places than your typical “here’s what some SEOs think” kind of thing.
For methodology, they studied 30 potential ranking factors by querying approximately 20 cities across approximately 20 local categories (about 400 search terms), looking 30 results deep in Google Places rankings. They looked at each factor in isolation and then looked at them in combination to see if there were any multiplier effects.
Search Control on Twitter
- Small Changes To Make A Big Difference On Your LinkedIn Profile December 10, 2013When it comes to professional growth and business networking, using LinkedIn can be extremely beneficial – as long as it’s done correctly. Here are some steps to take to improve the value of your LinkedIn profile and build connections. Choose An Appropriate Image Instead of an avatar of your favorite cartoon character, your LinkedIn profile image should be o […]Kelsey Avers
- 5 Ways to Optimize Your Google+ Profile December 5, 2013You can rank #1 in Google for your name or business easily with an optimized Google+ profile. Optimizing your Google+ profile will not only help you increase your search results but will also help you look great online. It’s no secret that when engineers built Google+, they constructed an SEO juggernaut to dominate search results above all other social platf […]Editor
- The Search Control App of the Week Goes to: Helpouts by Google November 15, 2013The new Android App, Google Helpouts lets people like you find answers to the questions that the search engine alone can’t answer – but a real person can. Do you need some fashion advice? Spanish tutoring? How about some tips for novice photography? Google Helpouts allows you to book an appointment with experts in many different fields through live video cha […]Editor
- How to Optimize Your Google Places Listing November 11, 2013Follow these steps to create a highly optimized Google Places listing. This may seem technical to many of you, that’s because it is. By following the step below, the process is much simpler:Take 8 photos of your business or find them online and save them on your computer.Make a video with your photos at Animoto.com and upload to YouTube.Pick 5 services that […]Editor
- The Search Control App of the Week Goes To: CardMunch! November 8, 2013CardMunch is a popular tool for business professionals to be able to store and organize business cards while connecting with people that they meet in the real world via LinkedIn. By snapping an image of a business card, you can add it to your CardMunch database where the card is manually transcribed by real people and the contact information is added to your […]Editor
- 6 Key Principles For Public Relations Today October 29, 2013Search Control works with small businesses to help them with their online presence, which includes helping with public relations. Public Relations are changing with the heightened attention for companies to create online marketing campaigns. Major magazines and newspapers are starting to only share news online, because so many people are searching the Inter […]Editor
- Saving the Rainforest One Meter At a Time with Cuipo October 28, 2013Why is the rainforest important? “Everything in our planet is interrelated. Why do you want to have two lungs and not just part of one? I mean the rainforests are basically the planet’s lungs. If we didn’t have the rainforest, it’d be pretty hard to breathe.” – Tom Murray, President of Cuipo.Cuipo was created by Tom Murray, President and Gus Hurst, CEO, who […]Editor
- The Search Control App of the Week: Bitstrips. Go Cartoon Yourself! October 25, 2013The iPhone and Android app, Bitstrips, is giving Facebookers a new way to interact with friends and post unique status updates using the cartoon versions of themselves and others. This app isn’t a game or type of competition at all, just a way to share some laughs and tell a story to your Facebook friends.Imagine scrolling through your Newsfeed to find that […]Editor
- Our Search Control App of the Week Goes to…Nike+ Running!! October 18, 2013Do you want the convenience of tracking your runs, getting the motivation to power through your run, track progress and calories burned all in one easy place? The Nike+ Running app combines all of those features and more. With this app you can keep up with your friends, track distance, time and calories, get audio feedback while you run and track your routes […]Search Control
- How To Gain More Likes On Facebook October 17, 2013At Search Control, we spend a lot of time helping small businesses run their social media pages to help increase awareness about their products or services. Facebook is a social network that we always create business profiles on for our clients. The impact Facebook has for businesses these days is influential, but using this website is more complex then just […]Editor
- Small Changes To Make A Big Difference On Your LinkedIn Profile December 10, 2013