An interesting survey has just been released by Google that predicts that 1 billion people will use mobile as a primary internet access point in 2012 instead of a home computer or laptop. We all see how prevalent smart phones are in our daily lives, whether we are the ones constantly pulling them out of our pockets to search wikipedia for obscure facts or one of the people who like to always be connected via various chat programs. Whatever type of user you are, the numbers of users in these groups is still surging and expected to reach 1 billion throughout 2012. Is your business ready to handle the onslaught of mobile web viewers? More information on how to optimize your business for mobile viewing can be seen here at Search Control’s search engine marketing blog.
by Greg Sterling
Former AdMob executive Jason Spero, who is now Google’s head of mobile sales, took the stage earlier today at the Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona to offer up some new,global smartphone user survey data and 2012 predictions. The Google-sponsored survey had a sample size of roughly 1,000 respondents in each of the represented countries: US, UK, France, Germany, Spain and Japan.
The data reflect that mobile search usage has nearly 100 percent penetration among smartphone owners, most of whom search at least once a week. Though it’s not made clear in the data released I assume this is browser-based search and does not include search via mobile apps. Google’s browser-based mobile-search share is 97 percent globally, according to StatCounter.
Search Control on Twitter
- Google's Search Market Share Drops as Bing Passes 17% May 21, 2013Google's search market share dropped slightly once again (from March’s 67.1 percent to 66.5 percent), with Bing and Yahoo slightly edging up. Microsoft's Bing saw the biggest increase with a total search market share of 17.3 percent. […]Jennifer Slegg
- Designing a Content Strategy to Destroy Your SEO Nemesis May 21, 2013Want to build market share at the expense of your SEO enemy? Use this template to compare and contrast your content strategy and SEO performance with that of your dreaded SEO foe and come up with a way to vanquish them once and for all! […]Richard Kirk
- Google+ in the SERPs Increasing; Authorship Adoption High [Data] May 21, 2013A new analysis suggests establishing Google authorship has moved past the early adopter stage and those marketers who have not yet established authorship and who are not regularly sharing content on Google+ would be wise to do so. […]Nathan Safran
- Google Analytics Language Report: What You Can Learn About Your Visitors May 21, 2013The Google Analytics Language report is great for understanding your users and how activity might be different for various languages. Learn about how this data is collected and find out how you can use this data to your advantage. […]Anna Lewis
- As Digital Ad Effectiveness Measurement Improves, Are Branding Ad Dollars Ready to Follow? May 21, 2013Digital ad campaigns drive both brand and sales lift. The methods of evaluating the delivery and performance of campaigns are rapidly improving as we consider three aspects of measurement: ad viewability, branding lift, and sales lift. […]Eli Goodman
- Google, NASA Join Forces to Research Machine Learning May 21, 2013Google and NASA joined forces to establish the Quantum Artificial Intelligence Lab that to research artificial intelligence using quantum computers. The lab will use a D-Wave 2 computer that is priced at around $15 million. […]Lawrence Latif
- YouTube Celebrates 8th Birthday With 100 Hours of Video Every Minute May 20, 2013YouTube has been serving its clips of animals, planking, people falling over and monkeys in sheepskin coats for eight years. The video streaming website launched eight years ago with a single video. Now, 100 hours of video are uploaded per minute. […]Dave Neal
- 'Relevant and Personalized Tweets' Now a Part of Yahoo Newsfeed May 20, 2013Yahoo announced last week a partnership with Twitter to integrate tweets directly into its newsfeed. Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer says it will "seamlessly include relevant and personalized Tweets alongside stories from Yahoo and our other sources." […]Jessica Lee
- Google News Snippets, YouTube Embedded Videos Face Legal Challenges in Germany May 20, 2013A newly approved bill states that Google, other search engines, and news aggregators can only use short snippets of material from publishers. Separately, Germany is also in the midst of a battle regarding the use of embedded video on websites. […]Jennifer Slegg
- Google AdWords Express Gets a Facelift May 20, 2013Google’s AdWords Express is the latest Google property to receive a makeover. AdWords Express, designed to be an easy introduction to AdWords for local businesses, has been redesigned to make it easier for new users and to streamline the process. […]Jennifer Slegg
- Google's Search Market Share Drops as Bing Passes 17% May 21, 2013